[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Function

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:38:06 PST 2010

Hello folks,
It's half past 1 (AM), and I've just returned from a show by our New
Orleans Function.
Buddy Tate was right - dancers DO put soul in the music.  The band -
with guest pianist Nahum Perefrikovitch (originally from Latvia), who
satrted playing in Israel 39 years ago, i.e. - before the band leader
was born - gavwe an excellent performance.
True, the band played Tiger Rag, That's a-Plenty and other warhorses.
But have you ever heard Optimistic Blues or Yiddishe Charleston?
OK, regarding the first title, it's a tricky question - Optimistic
Blues, a real low down blues, is a Nahum Prefrikovitch original.  But
the second title dates back to the 1920's, and I. for one, have never
heard of it.
I cannot recall any bands (other then Jelly Roll Morton repertory
groups) play New Orleans Bump; I'm not even sure I have ever heard it
live  before tonight, when New Orleans Function played it (for the
first time in public).

My crowd raised the age average considerably; without us - and the
leader's parents - it would have been under thirty!  And, at 69, I
certainly was the oldest member of the audience.

Anyway, it's rather late - must go to bed to get some sleep before the
wine degustation in the morning (OK, by "morning" I mean something
like 12:00-12:30PM).
Cheers