[Dixielandjazz] Entertainment (was Boater or Skimmer & Where?)

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 18 15:27:10 PST 2010

Very true. Too many of us in service jobs forget (or never thought about it)
that it's the customer who pays the wages.

I am a retired (United) airline pilot. Almost all pilots do it because they
love to fly airplanes, just as most jazz musicians do it because they love
to play. Which means "squat" to the passengers in the back of the airplane
or the people who book the bands. You never saw so many looks of surprise as
I got when I would remind a young copilot that flying the airplane
beautifully was just an expected part of the job. That many other airlines
served the same routes as we did in similar equipment for a similar price,
and the only reason a passenger would choose to buy a ticket on United
(thereby paying the crews' wages), rather than on another carrier, was if we
made him like us better than, say, American or Continental.

The same principles apply to the music business and all other service
businesses.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.