[Dixielandjazz] LOUIS ARMSTRONG'S Cornets and Trumpets

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 18 13:13:02 PST 2010

I think his first cornet, the one given him to play at the Colored
Waif's Home, is at the Smithsonian.  One of his trumpets is at the
Hard Rock Cafe in New Orleans and one of his trumpets is at his home
(museum) in Corona Queens County, NYC.

Our trumpet player, Paul Grant, got to blow an Armstrong song on the
one in Corona when he was playing trumpet in"West End Blues", an off
broadway play about Armstrong's life. He says it was a highlight of
his life. In the play, Paul performed most of the Hot Five/Seven
repertoire in a five piece band directed by pianist Terry Waldo, 8
times a week. He knew the cadenza from West End Blues as well  anyone
except Louis.

I believe another of Louis's trumpets is at the Franz Streitwieser
Museum ar Schloss Kremsegg, in Kremsmunster  (Near Salzburg) Austria.
I saw that one when the museum was located in Pottstown PA and I was a
sideman in a band that played there on Armstrong's birthday about 15
years ago. I met Franz and his American born wife there and theyn were
wonderful people.

The Streitwieser Museum is a sight to behold, with all kinds of
antique instruments. When Franz's wife passed away, the museum was
moved from Pennsylvania to Austria. If you are ever in the Salzburg
area, I highly recommend a visit to Schloss Kremsegg.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband