[Dixielandjazz] Louie's horn ..

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:50:30 PST 2010

Bill:

While I can't say for certain, I'm suspecting that Louis did play the cornet
as he is indicated as being the composer of "Corner Chop Suey" which he
recorded several times during his career.

I happen to have the original recording from 1926 but you could hardly
expect a guy who can't distinguish between a soprano sax and clarinet to be
able to do so between a trumpet and cornet.

I had to go onto Goggle awhile back to find out the difference between an
xylophone and vibraphone when I discovered that Red Norvo had played the "X"
on some early recordings with his then wife Mildred Bailey and later
switched to the "V"

I understand that the marimba, predominately used in Spanish or Mexican
style recordings is quite similar......but with me, it's a neverending
learning process.

If I come away learning just one thing new each day, then it was worth my
getting up that morning.

HC