[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays Feb 16

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 02:49:56 PST 2010

While I did not find it earth shattering that Bob mistakenly referred to
Bill Doggett as the one
who had the hit "Rock Around the Clock", since Jack Mitchell made the
correction here, it
should be noted that Haley actually started out as a country singer.

After establishing himself in the rock & roll field, I guess on a lark he
did a cover of Elvis Presley's "A Fool Such As I" in 1958  but more in the
style of Hank Snow, who had a country hit with it in 1954  If I played it
for you, I would almost guarantee that you would not recognize him..

While it was by no means a best seller, in I believe the same year, Bill &
his Comets cut a Decca album entitled "Rockin' the Oldies" which had some
bright, refreshing renditions of such things as Russ Morgan's "Somebody Else
Is Taking My Place" and several other standards.

Doggett was most famous for being a "one-hit wonder" with his "Honky Tonk
Part II" (yes, there was a part one but nobody ever bothered to play it over
the air)  It was one of the rare smash instrumental hits that I could
probably count on one hand in the midst of all the vocal groups dominating
the Billboard & Cashbox charts in the late 50s.

It was also one of the relatively few hit records ever for King, a
relatively obscure label that only had saxophonist Earl Bostic as a name
artist.  I believe they also put out the original hit version of "Fever" but
the name of the artist escapes me (Bill Haeslar will probably tell us within
not too many hours)

Peggy King was a regular vocalist on "The George Gobel Show" and to the best
of my knowledge was unrelated to the King Sisters who once sang with Alvino
Rey.  I was rather surprised to discover that she is 9 years older than
myself.but after all, somebody has to be

I used to often confuse her with Jill Corey who was a protege of Mitch
Miller and came along about the same time.

Tides
HC.