[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays Feb 16

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Feb 17 20:05:26 PST 2010

Marek Boym wrote:

> Hello Bob,
> Why are there so many names of which I've never heard on your list,
> and some I wish I had not heard?
> The only two names on today's list that I know are Bill Doggett (who,
> unfortunately, played the organ, albeit he was a good pianist) and
> Pete Christlieb (he belongs to the latter - wish I had not heard of)
> category.

I thought that Bill Doggett was the band leader who made "Rock Around The Clock" famous?  I guess not, 1916 would really put him up there in age.

IMHO- Pete Christlieb is a fabulous musician.  Not Trad by any means, but certainly MKOM.

1901: Wayne King
Was a famous band leader.  More pop than Jazz.  But of course all those pop bands hired really good Jazz musicians because the Jazz musicians liked to eat regularly...

>> 1914: Jimmy Wakely
Jimmy Wakely was a very good, old-time C&W singer and musician.

>> 1915: Leah Ray
Not sure, perhaps an actress?

>> 1918: Patty Andrews
Of course, one of the Andrew Sisters.

>> 1930: Peggy King
I'm sure, one of the famous King family?

I'd like to see more of the early Jazz musicians listed.  But my source doesn't seem to have most of them.

Best,

--Bob Ringwald

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4875 (20100217) __________

http://www.eset.com