[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong New Recording

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 14:07:55 PST 2010

Louis Lince wrote:
"To be serious, I do wonder about the legality of these overdubs"

And Bob Ringwald replied:
"Louis, I am sure that all has been cleared with the Louis Armstrong estate."

It's quite possible that the Armstrong estate didn't need to be consulted if the original record company owned the copyright to the recording, which is extremely likely since that's how record companies can fight piracy: by enforcing their own copyright. So, if the record company behind the new issue licensed the extended sampling of Louis's performance, it's all legal and extra cash in the till for the copyright holder. Since cash is all that interests most record companies, it all starts to stack up. It doesn't stop the whole thing being a travesty, a desecration of the original, an insult to a genuine artist's artistry and an outrageous charade done for self-gratification and a few extra bucks. Where does this sort of thing end? Could someone sample all the individual notes ever recorded by the collective personnel of King Oliver's Creole Jazz band, re-assemble them into something entirely new and issue them as previously undiscovered masterpieces?

Personally I can't wait for Dan's version of Whistler and His Dog to come out, but am disappointed that he's not getting Duke Ellington's mighty 1941 Orchestra to provide the backing. Please ask him to try harder next time!

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk