[Dixielandjazz] Sports & bowls & things

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Feb 11 10:23:25 PST 2010

All the talk about the Super Bowl on djml from the U.S. members, and the
lack of interest or understanding from the rest of the world made me laugh a
bit.

As a displaced American living under the guise of a European citizen (I'm
granted EU residency as I am married to an Irish gal!), I have become
divorced from such sporting events.

This came to a crux one night as I was visiting my home town of Long Beach,
California a few years ago.  My wife and I were having a glass of wine at
one of those "sporting bars" where various tv's blared on about the World
Series.  The bartender was very interested and said something about so & so
inning.  When I asked him how many innings were in the game (honest, I
couldn't remember!), he said "where are you from?".

I dug my hole even deeper when I had to admit I was "from there"!  So, I
then wasn't maybe a foreigner (bad enough!), I was now a freak!

My wife could have asked the same question, and he would have been charmed
off his feet with her lovely accent!   :>

I've told this story before on djml, but the new occasion called for a
repeat!

Jim