[Dixielandjazz] Rounders (was The Who ?)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 10 18:28:21 PST 2010

Bob Smith wrote provocatively:
> I've heard the term "Super Bowl" that sounds like an oversize Wok, but I believe is a kind of deified "Rounders" that I used to play back in England in my young days (before Jazz bowled me over).

Dear Bob,
"Rounders"????
That British/Australian baseball game has nothing to do with the Superbowl and a subject we must not mention on the DJML.
It, has something to do with what our US friends call football.
Duck for cover! (both also cricket terms).
But it does raise a legitimate question.
Last night on Sydney cable TV, a Foxtel channel aired the 1998 John Sayles' film "Eight Men Out".
The soundtrack featured a dixieland band throughout, including scenes showing musicians, including the popular New Orleans singer Leigh Harris.
A rare soundtrack CD provides the tune titles from the film, which follows the true events of the 1919 Chicago 'Black Sox' Scandal involving Joe 'Shoeless Jackson (no, not the Benny Goodman impersonator who played clarinet on the February 1942 Mel Powell Commodore session) and others, in which the White Sox players deliberately lost the World Series.
As the film was made in 1998, surely, someone on our great list can tell us who the musicians were.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Here is the track listing for the soundtrack CD.
1. 	"After You've Gone" performed by Leigh Harris
2. 	I Be Blue
3. 	Eight Men Out
4. 	The Busher
5. 	Eddy Loses
6. 	Not Guilty
7. 	Dempsey's Rag
8. 	"I Be Blue" performed by Leigh Harris
9. 	Do Or Die
10.	Come On Chick
11.	It's Over
12.	I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
13.	"I'm Forever Blowing Ballgames" performed by John Sayles
14.	Eddie's Revenge
15.	Lefty Loses
16.	Reporter
17.	Call Me Buck
18.	"After You've Gone" performed by Leigh Harris
	Total Album Time:	39:33

"Leigh Harris:
A down-home rock, blues, and jazz vocalist from New Orleans, Leigh Harris first appeared in a Sayles film as a nightclub singer in Eight Men Out. "Sayles came into a club in New York City where I was singing one night," Harris remembered. "He approached me and said. ‘I just think you're so wonderful.' A year later he called me for the movie." She retuned to Sayles territory four years later, playing Kit in Passion Fish. In her musical career, Harris has shared billing with such artists as B.B. King and Elvis Costello. In 1977 she co-founded the well-known New Orleans group Little Queenie and the Percolators and in 1999 released her first solo album, House of Secrets." [From John Sayles Stock Company website.]