[Dixielandjazz] OKOM to a younger audience

jfranz at triad.rr.com jfranz at triad.rr.com
Tue Feb 9 09:00:26 PST 2010

Our band has begun playing a set for the Jazz History/Appreciation class at our local state university each semester.
We do an explanation of each piece and it's historical relevance, with the set covering early 1900's to early 30's.
It has been well received, with many students asking for "where we are playing next".
It all started with our band leader's daughter taking the class.
A great way to reach out to a young and interested group.
Last night was this semester, and yes - we ended with the Saints.. couldn't think of an Indianapolis blues..
Jim Franz
Gate City Jazz Band
Greensboro, NC