[Dixielandjazz] Hard To Believe

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Feb 8 23:03:22 PST 2010

Sorry Bob,  and this may be kind of OT for a lot of you,

As one of the "younger" members of this list I have to disagree with
your comments.  I grew up in the Rock and Roll generation and was
exposed to Elvis, The Beatles, The Coasters, The Beach Boys, James
Brown, and hundreds of other major and minor "Rock" artists from the
mid 1950s to the early 1970s.  I also knew about Swing, Jazz and
popular music from earlier decades, but "Rock and Roll" is what I
heard most of the time on the radio.

I thought the halftime show was somewhat interesting because the
lyrics of "The Who" songs were so anti-corporate and anti-big
government that they never should have been "approved" for such an
event. Maybe we have somehow all  forgotten the power of music to make
changes in society, maybe we have been overwhelmed by the
corporations, but I always have hope for the musicians who keep on
playing (even if they seem to be bought out by the Superbowl Masters,
as it were.)

maybe I am just falling back to those Hippy-Trippy days of the 1960s
when "the kids where all right," but for me, that band was still
saying a lot - even in the belly of the beast. Yes, I am sure they
made a lot of money doing this, but that is the way it is. Now.

So, what does this have to do with OKOM? I am not quite sure.  Rock
music has direct roots to early jazz and blues, most of the UK bands
of the 1960s were certainly inspired by the Trad Revival of the 1950s
- so where is the line drawn? What is Jazz, What is Rock? When a band
that has been popular for almost 50 years plays for the Superbowl,
what is "Traditional Music?"

I don't  really need a lot of answers to these vague questions - but
it probably has something to do with how what is now considered  "Old-
Time Music" is understood by most of the younger generations...

Dave Richoux