[Dixielandjazz] Jazz picnic

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 8 15:56:09 PST 2010

Hi all,
just a report on a jazz picnic here in NZ.

I met up with Colin Toomer with whom I nhad previously corresponded and he invited me to his bands Jazz Picnic.It was held at the home of a mamber of the Jazz Club which supports the band at the top of a hill way out of town. A long dusty track,parking under the trees and the audience sitting on the lawn in front of the house. Like many houses here it had a wide deck running arround it like a balcony. The band played from there. Not an ideal set up as it meant that the musicians were strung out a bit. The Big Band  arranged the brass, trmpts,trmbs,saxes and clar in  two tiers.gtr and bass on a platform of their own (created by moving the outside jacuzzi on to a construction of planks and beer crates) Colin was stuck in a poor position right on the end of the line where it was difficult for him to influence the band much. However he reads the dots and played well through some quite tricky arrangements.
After the Big Band concert there was a jam session with a smaller group and several players who were new to the band appeared from the audience and joined in. Particulaly impressive was a clar. player who had a lovely tone and impressive talent. There were no up tempo driving numbers. Even `Cherry` (which was a request from the clar. player. No one elseseemed to know it, to my surprise) was only bumped along at about 3/4 tempo, compared to any other treatments I have heard. Perhaps it was the weather, which was hot and sunny.
A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. And they made a profit. Wow!

Cheers

Pat