[Dixielandjazz] re Saints Marching In

Nita Hemeter nhemeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 13:49:59 PST 2010

Re  Saints Marching In:

I agree that "When the Saints Go Marching In" should have been played at
some point at the Superbowl.

For the past few months our band has played "Saints" at every gig and
yesterday we must have played it 10 times.  But, to be honest, New Orleans
doesn't promote this wonderful music as it should.  Irvin Mayfield has
opened a new club and he is promoting it with the quote "Jazz is Back on
Bourbon".  Parts of Bourbon Street are  a nightmare, with bands blaring
"Brick House" and other songs that have nothing to do with Jazz.  It is my
hope, along with many others who are concerned about jazz in New Orleans,
that with a new Mayor, we can get more Jazz on Bourbon Street and in other
clubs.  Thank goodness for Frenchmen Street which has become the Jazz Mecca
for folks looking for jazz.  This is one of the reasons we are starting the
NO Trad Jazz Camp for Adults.  Hopefully the city and the state will
recognize that many people love this music and will come to the Birthplace
of Jazz to hear it, play it and enjoy it.

    One more thing, I can't express to you all how wonderful the Saints win
is for the city.  People are still crying when you see them on the street
and talk about the Saints and New Orleans.  The headline of the Times
Picayune today said it all.. "Amen".  I'll let you know if the headline
tomorrow says.. "When the Saints Come Marching In".

Nita Hemeter

www.neworleanstradjazzcamp.com