[Dixielandjazz] : Paul Guma, N.O. reed man/guitarist, 1920-2010

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 5 12:50:55 PST 2010

To: DJML

From:  Charlie Suhor via Norman Vickers

Charlie Suhor of Montgomery, AL  percussionist, jazz historian,  educator
and New Orleans native  sends this obituary of Paul Guma.  Apparently Guma
was one of the many musical giants who don't get wide recognition but yet
are powerful influences for good in a smaller sphere.

Charlie asked that I send this to DJML as likely there are some listmates
who knew him.

Thanks, Charlie.

From: Charles Suhor [mailto:csuhor at zebra.net]

Subject: Paul Guma, N.O. reed man/guitarist, 1920-2010

Below is an obituary of a fine musician too little known outside of New
Orleans. He was part of my brother Don's and my musical development. Don
studied under two fine teachers after leaving Johnny Wiggs' beginner classes
at Werlein's--Emanuel Allesandra (also Pete Fountain's teacher) then Paul
Guma at Loyola. He was a fine legit player, respected by all on both guitar
and clarinet, but he was most active locally as a consummate swing artist--a
great lead alto man in big bands and wonderful jazz player on clarinet (also
guitar).

Paul directed the Loyola big band in 1952-53, my freshman year, and
encouraged me greatly. I played my first Union gig with him just after
turning 18 in the summer of '53 at the N.O. Country Club. He had a hip book
of West-Coast style arrangements and the band had other players like Don and
Gerry St. Amand who could jam on standards. True story--in this bastion of
white exclusivism in pre-Civil Rights years, the black waiters were knocked
out by the combo and asked Paul if we were available to play for their
events. Nothing came of it, but it was a fine moment of communication and
irony.

Paul hired modern musicians as his sidemen. His fine quartet at the Top of
the Mart included Lou Timken on drums and Pete Monteleone on piano. But as a
swing era stylist, Paul was one of the many who fell into the cracks in
accounts of the city's jazz history that look at early jazz styles and
modernists. I devoted a small section of my book on jazz in postwar N.O. to
swing bands and players and hope someone will take up the subject in more
detail.

Charlie

Paul Guma
GUMA Paul Guma, a native of New Orleans, LA, died Jan. 19, 2010 in Houston
at the age of 90. He is survived by his daughters, Kristel Peale and Karen
Guma, son-in-law, Dr. Robert Peale, and brother AJ Guma of New Orleans. Upon
completion of his Masters in Music at LSU, he was stationed in Boston during
WWII where he met his wife, Helen. After the war, he returned to NO, where
he was a professional musician for decades, excelling at guitar, clarinet
and saxophone. He played for symphony, opera and ballet orchestras, WDSU-TV,
the Blue Room of the Roosevelt, and with many notable musicians and
entertainers including Pete Fountain and Al Hirt. Eventually, he formed his
own group at the Top of the Mart ('67-'72). He still made time to teach
music at Loyola University (for 15 years), Tulane University ('57-61) Xavier
University and Warren Easton High School ('58-'63). In 1972, Paul and Helen
retired to Marco Island, FLA where he continued playing music until his
wife's death in '89. In '91, Paul moved to Houston to live with his
daughter, Kristel and her husband, Dr. Robert Peale. In Houston, Paul played
at the Houston Racquet Club well into his eighties. Paul is remembered as a
gentle, quiet, loyal man with integrity and a delightful sense of humor. He
was loved and admired by all who knew him. Paul's funeral will be held in
New Orleans on Feb. 6 at Holy Name of Jesus Church, 6363 St. Charles Ave on
the Loyola University campus at 11am. The visitation will be held from
9am-11am at the St. Ignatius Chapel in Bobet Hall behind the church on
Loyola's campus. The interment will be at Metairie Cemetary after the
funeral. If anyone would like to make a donation in his name, the family
suggests directing the donation to the Parkinson's Society.