[Dixielandjazz] FW: Playing For Free

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 3 07:20:18 PST 2010

Steve wrote:
>Oh, Oh, The Who is playing for FREE. By the looks of it, this is one event
most any band would be happy to play gratis.

I was closely associated for 7 years with Pink Floyd.  Although they didn't
play for free, their concerts were always played at a loss, due to the high
costs of putting on such shows.  Their earnings were in record sales boosted
by the concerts.

The Who article says they expect profits for sale of their new recording to
be expanded by this freebee.  In this present atmosphere of "downloads",
etc., I can't get it through my head how anyone is getting money from
"sales", but maybe those that do pay are making a difference.

My band had one billion tv viewers during the world-wide tv coverage during
the Royal Wedding in 2004 in Madrid. We didn't play for free, nor did we
particularly see a boost in record sales.   :>

Jim