[Dixielandjazz] jazz pianist/educator Dr. Billy Taylor dies

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Dec 31 09:56:06 PST 2010

To :  Musicians and Jazzfans ; DJML

From: Norman  Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Likely most of you have seen at least one obit on Dr. Billy Taylor.  There
are lots of You Tube clips.  Also  a reminiscence by Bill Ramsey on his
"Rifftides" blog at Arts Journal.com.

Here's a link from Voice of America:
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Jazz-Icon-Billy-Taylor-Dies-at-89-11
2635794.html

Also Mike Gourrier,  a k.a. Mr. Jazz of New Orleans, sent a notice.  I
wasn't able to send it out as I was visiting out of town and had no access
to my list.  Thanks Mike.

I got to meet Dr. Taylor in NYC at a JazzTimes convention in the early '80s.
I'd asked him some questions about his work as commentator on CBS Sunday
Morning show.  He would present jazz documentaries.  He kindly suggested
that we sit, have a soft drink, and he told me about his organization set up
the interviews.  Frequently he would show excerpts from an artist's
performance(s).   I was impressed with his kindness and willingness to take
time to talk with a stranger.

One additional point,  later in life, he had a small stroke which impaired
his left hand.  He rehabilitated himself and was able to resume performing.
What persistence!

Norman