[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of pitch

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 26 13:23:36 PST 2010

An unwelcome surprise while testing a Christmas gift of headphones!
While switching back and forth with the balance dial, it seemed that there was
a pitch difference.  Further testing and comparison with a handy keyboard
revealed that  my left ear, which doesn’t hear as well as the right ear, also
hears a pitch a bit higher.  For example, a C pitch in the right ear is nearly a
C sharp in the left.  I speculate that this hasn't been noticeable while playing or
listening to live music because the brain blocks out the errant sound.  I will be
making a visit to a professional  audio person.

Wondering if any on the list have encountered this problem.

Ken Gates
Ventura, Calif