[Dixielandjazz] Correct pitch in recordings. + funny consequence in the Chris Barber band history.

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Sun Dec 26 01:41:20 PST 2010

Thank you all for your comments.

So the final conclusion is that it is a problem and it has sometimes caused
major problems for us. I don´t mean OKOM radio that is in the hands of an
imperfect recording industry. On the other hand, today several small
companies do issue "homemade" OKOM recordings that perhaps always should be
checked for the correct pitch before they are issued. The master, reel tape
or cassette, could have been recorded on any kind of imperfect hardware many
years ago. Or, the piano was far out of pitch (and often also out of tune
which you can´t do much about).

There is of course a solution for everything, if you have the money. In this
case it is the Superscope line of CD players that allows you to make
corrections of the pitch and speed in real time. A minor change of pitch do
not according to my opinion change the character of the recording in any
notable way. Check http://www.superscopetechnologies.com/. That means that
you do not have to sit in front of your computer to play along in a
corrected CD pitch. In a computer you can for instance use the Band in the
Box SW. http://www.pgmusic.com/

Radio and TV technician as I am I have,
- a Superscope PSD 230 CD player to vary the speed
- a Tascam 302 semi professional cassette player were you can vary the speed
- Band in the Box software in the computer were you can do anything you want

Ulf in Stockholm who has been hit, since November, by the largest snowfalls
(two to three feet so far) and cold (down or below zero F) recorded in one
hundred years. We call it global warming!!!