[Dixielandjazz] Correct pitch in recordings

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sat Dec 25 21:16:53 PST 2010

Don't forget that Concert A at 440 is a relatively modern convention.
Recording speeds were a bit scattered.  In the very early 1900s, Victor
records were recorded closer to 73 than 78 RPM.  Most of the  mid teens and
early 20s Victors fall into "correct" pitch at around 76 RPM.  Edison was
probably the most precise with recording and playback speeds.   No, a lot of
reissue material is not pitch corrected, unless you have a well trained
musician in the restoration loop, most people will not pick up on the odd
pitches.

Ron L