[Dixielandjazz] Correct pitch in recordings

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Sat Dec 25 12:57:30 PST 2010

I have recently taking up my tenor banjo playing after more or less a 50
year halt in which I mostly played the five string banjo and Irish tuned
tenor guitar. Now I use OKOM to train in the same way as what happened in
the regular OKOM jam we have every Monday eve here in Stockholm. The problem
for me in the jams is to be able to coop with the large variety of tunes
that the old-timers love to play. By using the tunes that constantly come up
on OKOM radio I get a very good practice for both the harmonies and rhythm.

However very often the tunes played are much out of the regular 440-442 A
pitch, sometimes up to half or whole tone away. C will be C# etc. That goes
both for old recordings as well as contemporary ones. The question from side
is following. How come? Are there a problem in the player equipment used by
the different programmers? If not, in many cases a piano is involved. I
always assume that the piano should set the pitch for band at least around
440, at least for modern recordings after WW II. Then you have the none
conform standard of the old 78 rpm records of the 20´s were the different
recording companies not always recorded in 78 rpm. I am aware of the
discussion about which key "the hot five" really recorded in. But when the
modern reissue companies release those old recordings should they not at
least try to make a correction so the reissue will be at least in a common
standard key and not something in between? Yes by use of a computer program
you can make any correction to any key you want. But why should the consumer
make all that arrangements? Any ideas from the OKOM crowed out there in the
musical cyber space? Do you also see this as a problem although a minor one?

Ulf Jagfors
Stockholm