[Dixielandjazz] Maryland My Maryland - Was O Tannenbaum

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Thu Dec 23 03:14:07 PST 2010

On 23/12/2010 00:03, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> This was the start of the N.O Revival after WW 2. Swept the USA back
> then and probably was the basis for British Trad.

George Webb who died this year is credited with the UK classic/dixieland
jazz revival.  He started a Dixieland band in 1941 ( he was a machine
gun fitter so didn't have to join the forces)

The "trad" boom started over a decade later and Humphrey Lyttelton, who
was in George's band for a while was part of that boom.  I certainly
remember "Maryland" being a great favourite around 1960.  People are
often amazed to find that Barber, Bilk and  Ball are not only still
alive but still playing.  Kenny Ball was "sprung" from hospital a few
months ago to fulfill a gig commitment.

George was a regular at the Donnington Christmas parties and will be
very much missed this year.
If you'd like to know a bit more about him here's a link to an obituary.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/7442993/George-Webb.html

Jude