[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP Performance Fees and Enforcement

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 21 16:17:52 PST 2010

>>>Item: "(Bass Player) I heard that one of the tricks that the ASCAP
goons use at 'original music' and 'public domain only' gigs is to
approach the band at some point and say,'It's my friend's birthday
today, could you please play Happy Birthday?' It is still copyright-
protected somehow! Hoping for a gratuity, the band often complies
and....GOTCHA!"<<<

Only the lyrics, not the music.  As long as the band doesn't sing, they're safe.