[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Dorsey on Trumpet

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 19 17:00:32 PST 2010

On Dec 19, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone advised:
>> ........interested folks who have the book will enjoy what
>> Sudhalter had to say about TD and the trumpet on pages 362 and 363.
>
> Thanks Steve,
> An excellent summary of TD's trumpet playing.
> For some reason, I frequently forget to consult Dick Sudhalter's
> 'Lost Chords' for observations regarding early white jazzmen.
> The pages you recommended were new to me.
> But, as you know, 'Lost Chords' cannot to devoured in one sitting.
> However, DS does not name the 1937 Clambake Seven title featuring
> Tommy Dorsey's trumpet work.
> It looks like my busy next two or so days will include listening to
> the twenty-three 1937 Clambake Seven titles.
> Hopefully, uninterrupted.
> But I wouldn't bet on it.
> Maybe, Marvin can help me out.
> *>)
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Yes Sudhalter usually has some nuggets of information in his book. I
tried to find the 1937 Clambake 7 side with TD on trumpet but came up
blank. Happy listening!!! <grin>

I also neglected to mention  the TD trumpet references on page 364
(Pee Wee Erin's descriptions of him are fabulous, paragraph 3 and 7)
and then brief references on  pages 474 and 476 about TD being one of
a very few players on trumpet who tried to play like Louis Armstrong.
Obviously strongly influenced by Pops. Those pages put him up there
with Jack Purvis in that regard..

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband