[Dixielandjazz] Verses

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Wed Dec 15 09:43:34 PST 2010

Hi Y'all,

I think I am off by myself on this one. I like verses, if they are any
good, as a way to break up the endless playing of choruses. I think it
provides a change of texture to the tune, gives the fans something also
to enjoy or not, and is useful as a lead in to a solo.

I do agree that verses are more useful when a vocal is involved. Earlier
this year I played with the Grand Dominion and I have to say that the
vocal by Jim Armstrong was much better for the inclusion of a lovely verse.

On the other hand I've never heard the verse to Down In Jungle Town and
from the comments I am probably just as happy not to have heard it.

Have a Frantic Festivus and hope for more gigs in the New Year.

Tony Pringle