[Dixielandjazz] songs with verses

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 14 12:44:27 PST 2010

Judy Eames wrote [in part]:
> Our  Big Bear Stompers band leader is great at digging out little known....songs that tell a story and would be wasted just played as instrumentals.

Dear Judy-mate,
Do you have a singer in the band then?
<Just kidding dear friend.>
Just my intro to answering you other comment:

> One of our trumpeters plays a lovely verse to "Trouble in Mind",  if anyone knows if there are words I'd like to learn them.

This is what I have:

"Trouble In Mind"
(Verse)
Trouble in Mind, trouble in mind,
I'm feeling lonesome and blue,
Don't think at night for thinkin',
Over things that I've gone through.
I never had no trouble
'til that black cat crossed my path,
Trouble in mind I'm blue, how long will it last?

(Then 4 choruses)

Chippie' Hill sings it on her Vocalion 1248 version.
   Bertha "Chippie" Hill (vcl) acc by poss : Shirley Clay (cnt) prob. Artie Starks (cl) unknown (p)
   Chicago, November 1, 1928
   C-2509    Trouble in mind

If you want an mp3 copy, just ask.
Lotsa luv from Summery Sydney.