[Dixielandjazz] Sam "The Man" Taylor was Sol Yaged!!! 88 today

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Mon Dec 13 20:35:49 PST 2010

Sam "The Man" Taylor, who passed last week put out an extraordinary album in
1957.  It was called "Blue Mist" and included 12 wonderfulk version of old
ballads: Harlem Nocturne, As Time Goes By, Indian Summer, Don't Take Your
Love From Me, the Very Thought of You and others.  It is just a wonderful
record.  I later bought in on CD.

His sound was alternately brash, sensuous and lushly romantic on these
ballads.  As a teen, I'd put on that record, turn down the lights, put my
arm around some pretty young thing and let Taylor nudge us to heaven.  Aaah,
the old days.

Back in the 1950s as Rock n Roll came in, teenage tenor guys like myself had
several idols: King Curtis, Sam Butera, Sam Taylor and Boots Randolph.
Curtis had this tight pecky sound backing up the Coasters on Yakety-Yak and
others tunes. Taylor was the featured rock soloist with the Allan Freed
Shows in New York.  Butera was changing the tenor sax world with his buzzing
driving solos out of Louis Prima's Band and Randolph was ripping it up
backing up Brenda Lee's up tunes.  His solos on Jambalaya are hot, and
driving.

I hadn't known that Taylor played trad, but I'm not surprised.  He was a
much better musician than peoiple gave him credit for being.  I'm saddened
by his passing.

Jack Bryce
One of Sheik Littlefield's
DC Minions