[Dixielandjazz] Question About "Chelsea on Down?"

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Dec 10 16:19:36 PST 2010

Kit W. Johnson wrote:
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Question About "Chelsea on Down?"

"Chelsea on Down" was composed by Robin Wetterau, pianist with the Red Onion
Jazz Band.

A quick Google search resulted in easy to find information. In one result,
Phil Cartwright states on his tune list page that it was composed in 1953
and that the name was derived from "...a comment attributed to Robin
Wetterau about Boston restaurants:  'There's not a decent restaurant from
Chelsea on down.'"

A similar quote was found on another site, so perhaps it is accurate. Didn't
he play with Great Pacific, Bob? Indication was that GP recorded it in 1960.

Kit,  I believe that I have mentioned this a couple times here on DJML.  In 1979 when I moved to the Los Angeles area and formed the Great pacific Jazz Band, I was casting around for a good name for a band.  I came up with the Great pacific Jazz Band.  Probably because I had been to New York and seen the Great Atlantic Jazz Band play.

I asked everyone I could, Unfortunately there was no DJML at the time), if the name had been used before.  No one had heard of it so I named my band the GPJB.

It wasn't until 6 months or a year later that I found out that there had been an earlier GPJB in the SF area.

--Bob Ringwald