[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. James Moody

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Dec 10 11:37:38 PST 2010

A Jazz Giant Passes: James Moody, 1925-2010
by George Varga
San Diego Union-Tribune, December 9, 2010

James Moody, an international jazz star since 1949 and a San Diego resident since
1989, has played his last refrain. An acclaimed saxophonist, flutist, composer and
band leader for 60 of his 85 years, Mr. Moody died Thursday at 1:07 p.m. at the San
Diego Hospice, according to his wife, San Diego Realtor Linda McGowan Moody, who
was by his side. His death came after a 10-month battle with pancreatic cancer.
"He couldn't have gone more peacefully," said Mrs. Moody, who on Monday had her husband
moved from their San Carlos home to the San Diego Hospice.
Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz trumpeter Wynton Marsalis hailed Mr. Moody, with whom
he had often collaborated at New York's Jazz at Lincoln Center, as "a titan of our
music." He also praised Mr. Moody as "just impeccable, his musicianship, his soul,
his humor."
Mr. Moody first achieved prominence in 1946 as a member of bebop trumpet icon Dizzy
Gillespie's all-star big band. Noted for his ebullient stage persona and his ability
to inject warmth and joy into even his most intricate compositions, Mr. Moody leaves
behind one of the longest and most distinguished jazz careers in memory.
He recorded his best-known hit, "Moody's Mood for Love," in 1949. An ingenious interpretation
of the 1935 ballad "I'm in the Mood for Love," the title under which Mr. Moody's
recording was initially released, it features one of the most acclaimed saxophone
solos in jazz history. It became a global vocal hit in 1954 for singer King Pleasure,
who sang lyrics that were written for the song in 1952 by noted jazz vocalist Eddie
Jefferson. Mr. Moody subsequently began singing it himself and performed it as his
theme song at each of his concerts.
"Moody's Mood for Love" was elected into the Grammy Awards' Hall of Fame in 2001
and has been recorded by such diverse artists as Aretha Franklin, Van Morrison, Amy
Winehouse, Rod Stewart, Queen Latifah, Tito Puente and 2006 "American Idol" contestant
Elliott Yamin.
"'Moody's Mood for Love' is a national anthem," said longtime Moody fan and confidante
Bill Cosby, who in the 1980s sang a duet of the song with jazz vocal star Nancy Wilson
in an episode of "The Cosby Show," his hit TV series. Cosby also prominently featured
the song in his 2004 feature film, "Fat Albert," which came as a surprise to Mr.
and Mrs. Moody when Cosby had them attend the film's premiere.
In addition to praising Mr. Moody's artistic excellence and tireless devotion to
jazz, Cosby credited the jazz legend for being a personal role model.
"He has taught me integrity, how to express love for your fellow human beings, and
how to combine and contain manhood and maturity," Cosby told the The San Diego Union-Tribune.
Genre-hopping music great Quincy Jones, a longtime friend and collaborator, hailed
Mr. Moody as "the quintessential saxophone player" in a statement issued late Thursday
afternoon.
"My heart is heavy with the news of the passing of my mentor, colleague and brother
James Moody," Mr Jone said. "James Moody had a sound, an imagination and heart as
big as the moon. He was the quintessential saxophone player, and his 'Moody's Mood
for Love' will forever be remembered in jazz history side by side with Coleman Hawkins'
classic 'Body and Soul.'
"I had the privilege to produce and arrange three versions of 'Moody's Mood for Love'
-- in 1972 with Aretha Franklin, in 1980 with George Benson, and in 1995 with Brian
McKnight, Take 6, Rachelle Ferrell, and Mr. Moody himself. And to this day, I can't
begin to tell you how many different generations of people come up to me and say...
'I remember my mom and dad playing that song over and over again when I was a kid.'
"James Moody was one of the people who allowed me to stand on his shoulders when
I was coming up. And there can never be a value placed on that. So much of who I
am today, is because of who James Moody was to me back then.
"Thank God there's a difference between chemical and spiritual energy. His spiritual
energy will be in the deepest part of my heart for as long as I live. There are simply
no words I can say... there will never be another like him. Today we've lost not
only one of the best sax players to ever finger the instrument, but a true national
treasure. My love and all my condolences to his wife Linda to his beautiful, beautiful
family."
Franklin, whose own battle against pancreatic cancer was reported this week, counted
herself among Mr. Moody's greatest admirers.
During a 2005 Union-Tribune interview to preview her performance here that summer
at Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay, the soul-music queen brightened notably upon learning
her Moody -- one of her longtime idols -- resided in the area.
"Does James Moody live in San Diego? The famous James Moody! I would love to meet
him," Franklin said during that interview.
She then added: "I wonder if he would come to the concert and sing 'Moody's Mood
for Love?' And I would sing it with him. I've never, ever met him. And I would absolutely
love to."
Their unrehearsed duet of the song on stage at Humphrey's was a highlight of the
concert for Franklin, who laughed with delight when Mr. Moody launched into a darting
scat vocal line so joyful and intricate that even she couldn't match it.
Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz trumpeter Wynton Marsalis hailed Mr. Moody, with whom
he had often collaborated at New York's Jazz at Lincoln Center, as "a titan of our
music." He also praised Mr. Moody as "just impeccable, his musicianship, his soul,
his humor."
Mr. Moody's appeal transcended generations -- he was often surrounded by teenaged
musicians seeking his autograph at the annual International Association of Jazz Educators'
conference -- and musical styles.
"James Moody is one of the blueprints that you measure yourself up against," said
Laurie Ann Gibson, the creative director of Interscope Records and the award-winning
choreographer of "Bad Romance," "Telephone" and other Lady Gaga music videos.
"The type of excellence and soul Moody achieved is what we hope to re-gain in the
music industry. The level of artistry he reached is something you hope young performers
will closely study and understand."
A 1998 National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters award recipient and a 2007 Kennedy
Center Living Jazz Legend Award winner, Mr. Moody was featured in "The Jazz Masters,"
the first episode of the 2005 PBS TV series "Legends of Jazz." In 1997, he had a
memorable role (walking an "invisible dog") in the Clint Eastwood-directed film,
"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." Eastwood was a longtime fan.
"When we met with the casting director, she said: 'Mr. Moody, how long have you known