[Dixielandjazz] Where are the musical jobs?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 7 08:57:15 PST 2010

dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com

On Dec 7, 2010, at 2:58 AM, Daniel Barrett wrote:

>  Dear Steve & DJML,
>
> I did indeed intend to post this, but my techical expertise ends at
> winding up a Victrola; finally figured out I'd only replied to
> Steve, and failed to post it to the DJML. Well, anyway, here it is.
>
> Steve, thanks for the clarification; points well taken! I look
> forward to reading more from you and others on the DJML soon.
>
> Best Wishes for the Holidays,
>
> --Dan Barrett
> Costa Mesa, CA

Remainder snipped for brevity

Hi Dan & Listmates.

I think I figured out why your communications are not being posted to
the DJML,. Dan.  Including the one above. I think you have the wrong
address for posting to the list.

You are sending them to: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com

You should send them to: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com

BTW, talking about "stature", years ago I used to get on a soap box
about listening to current players more and past players less. I
opined that many current pros were better than those who went before
them. The only difference perhaps was that the early players invented
the genre.

I would urge list mates to get some current records, via Arbors or
whomever and listen to some of the guys Dan mentioned. If you can only
buy one, I urge folks to buy "As Long As I Live" and a band fronted by
Randy Reinhart. Personnel are: Dan Barrett , (cornet, trombone); Frank
Tate (double bass); James Chirillo (guitar); Kenny Davern (clarinet);
Randy Reinhart (cornet, trombone); John Sheridan (piano); Tony
DeNicola (drums). Arbors 19313

Listen to Dan's solo on "You're Nobody's Sweetheart Now". Should tell
you something about his expertise and his mindset.

Rick Anderson's review:

"A critic's job is to critique, and while that doesn't necessarily
mean finding fault, it does mean that you're supposed to be able to
hear the good and bad together and comment on both. The problem comes
when an album is so consistently appealing that you have a hard time
getting distance from its charms. That's exactly the problem with this
live album from cornettist and trombonist Randy Reinhart, who coats
every tune on this winning program of trad and swing standards with a
tone so sweet and burnished that listening to it makes you feel like
you're eating ice cream. The fact that his accompanists include
clarinetist Kenny Davern, trombonist Dan Barrett, and pianist John
Sheridan only adds to the difficulty of gaining critical distance. So
suffice it to say that the band's charging rendition of "At the Jazz
Band Ball" is a masterpiece of group-improv tension and release, that
their ten- and 11-minute-long versions of "Blues My Naughty Sweetie
Gives to Me" and "Yellow Dog Blues" are too short, and that when
Reinhart and Barrett switch instruments on "I Guess I'll Have to
Change My Plan" the only reason you notice is that their brilliance
changes color slightly. And when you listen closely to the opening
head on "As Long as I Live," you'll hear harmony work between the
cornet, trombone, and clarinet that is liable to make you tear up.
Innovative? Not in the slightest. Masterful, brilliant, inspiring?
Absolutely."

IMO, OKOM doesn't get any better than this record, except in live
performance. As Marek Boym would say: SUPPORT LIVE JAZZ.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband