[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Excerpts from SBNOJC December BLUE NOTE

Bob Brodsky rfoxbro at aol.com
Mon Dec 6 13:04:08 PST 2010

 The South Bay  New Orleans Jazz Club of Redondo Beach, California
      wishes all a very Happy Holiday season and New Year

 Excerpts from  December, 2010 BLUE NOTE

 The BLUE NOTE is the monthly newsletter of the South Bay New Orleans Jazz Club

                                    Here are some of the December issue highlights:

 SBNOJC      Meets 2nd Sunday Monthly 1:00 to 5:00 P.M. Knights of Columbus Hall - 310 397 6616
 214 Avenue “I”, Redondo Beach

PROGRAMS

DECEMBER 12, 2009

NIGHT  BLOOMING JAZZMEN - CHET  JAEGER

JANUARY  9,  2011

HYPERION OUTFALL SERENADERS - BOB WHITE

 FEATURE BAND FOR DECEMBER 2010
CHET JAEGER’S NIGHT BLOOMING JAZZMEN

Chet and his wonderful Night BloomingJazzmen have been our December Holiday Treat for many years. Wow! What a Band! This group is in high demand for festivals, clubs, cruises, parties and otherfunctions throughout the year. Please come and share our Decembermeeting with a wonderfulgroup of musicians. We guarantee a terrific afternoon with this band.

FEATURE BAND FOR NOVEMBER, 2010
BILL KEYSAND THE KEYSTERS

Bill Keyes provideda fine feature set consistingof himself asleader and electric violinist, Alan Shelton - cornet,Mike Stubbs - trombone, Bill Mitchell - piano, NatalieRussell - electricguitar, Dick Rierdan- percussion and Pete Kier - bass. Bill Keysprovided a menu of favoriteoldies including: Exactly Like You,TheYama Yama Man, Coquette, South, Shake That Thing, BluesMyNaughty Sweetie Gives To Me and other great tunes. Hisgroup showed expertise and talent with the cornet of Alan Sheltonandsolo work of Natalie Russell on guitar - Nice work Gang!

MUSICIANS NOVEMBER 2010

SBNOJCwas fortunate to have the following musicians in November:BobAllen, Barry Anthony, C J Sams, Larry Cosgrove, Pete Dawson,BobDownum, Jack Freeman, Paul Goldman, Jerry Goodman, JimmyGreen, Bill Keys, Pete Kier, Tom Loeb, Thomas Mann, Bill Mitchell,Nannette, John Norton, Roberto Pasquariello, Louie Pastor, DickRierdan, Jerry Rothschild, Natalie Russel, Allan Shelton, Luis Schillaci,Wayne Schmuss, Mike Stubbs, Tank Tanaka, Richard Tucker, BobWhite, Lucky Wright

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

President                       Paul Goldman                      310 293 2910
& Blue Note Assist.    goldperson51 at yahoo.com

Vice President                Jerry Goodman                    310 320 0009

Treasurer                       Anita Gold                      949 770 4690

Secretary & Historian                       Bob Brodsky                    310 937 1811
rfoxbro at aol.com

Blue Note Editor         Pete Kier   310 397 6616
     & Music Director     petekier at aol.com

Assist. Music Dir.          Earl      Newton
 310 829  9789

General Consultant           Bob Allen
 323 291 5686

Publicity & Promo    Bob White
 310 376 2591

Raffle Tickets                Yvonne Mitchell  714 528 1534

 Snack Table -  Polly Goodman

Past President)   Larry Cosgrove            310 645 9361

Raffle Prizes                  Ann Norton                     310 831 3525

                                                                         FROM THE PRESIDENT

Reflections  & Other Stuff

December seems to come around faster every year. I was just writing about the start of the new decade and the first year is completed. Theendof  the  year brings us thoughts of the past year; some good andothers not so good.

The  good  is that we have  a viable club  with  goodmusicians  and patrons keeping the club active. We have been fortunateto have highquality  bands such  as: Fiddlesticks & Ivory,  Barry Anthony’s  New Orleans Syncopators, Richard Simon, Coyote Hills Jazz Band, RoyalGarden  Dixieland  Band and  The Night  Blooming Jazzmen.  Also,kudosto the musician members that have stepped up and put togetherfeature bands during the year.

During the year wewelcomed Jerry Goodman as Vice President,Polly Goodman taking over the Snack Table and Ann Norton coordinatingraffles.  A very  special thanks go to  Betty  Lapore for  her years  of service to the club.

On the not  so good side, we all were saddened by the  lossof Chuck Kelly  and Rod Norris. Both were strong musicalcontributors  to the club as well long time members.

I personally would like to thank all the members and musicianswho have  supported  the club this  past year.  Without you,  we would bemeeting  in  an  empty  hall. And a  special thanks  to the  Board of Directors who have helped keep the club active.Their dedication hasbeengreat.

The  Boardof Directors and I wishyou a joyous holidayseason and a jazz filled New Year.
Lets all keep jazz alive.

Paul Goldman – President

And - on January 4, from 6 to 8 pm, at the Redondo Beach Main Library,  Bob Brodsky will present his "15th serenade for Mouldy Figges" - a sound and narration show featuring the founders of New Orleans Jazz and Blues. Admission is free. The 'Lecture' is described in his new book, "The World in a Jug"- 'The Lore of New Orleans and Dixieland Jazz'. The book is available in Amazon.com - books under Robert F. Brodsky