[Dixielandjazz] From Suffolk County (Long Island NY)

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Tue Dec 7 07:54:21 PST 2010

Hi Marek,
You wrote:
Well, in the 1950's it was probably quite common, as the revival was
at its height.  Do you still do it NOW?
======================
As a matter of fact, in the early 1950's no school, in New York City at least, had
musicians visiting to perform for the kids. We started sending groups to high schools
as a class project (Manhattan School Of Music). Clem, along with Stan Kenton, went
on to establish Jazz Labs in in the various colleges throughout the United States.
Would you believe that jazz was not taught in schools and in fact the guitar was not
thought of as an instrument, not even at MSM.
=====================
In the past few years I taught at San Jacinto College in Houston.
We had the pleasure of presenting Maynard Ferguson, Doc Severinson,
Phil Woods and many, many others each year for the past ten years.
The college has sponsored sending the school big band and small jazz groups
plus a faculty jazz group to the neighboring elementary schools, the middle
schools and the local high schools. We have also presented public appearances,
an annual "jazz contest" and much more.
Although I am still teaching I am not very active in the public arena.
Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com