[Dixielandjazz] Buck Clayton at the Embers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 07:01:54 PST 2010

Marek wrote about Buck Clayton at the Embers in NYC in the 1950s.

Dear Marek:

I saw Clayton at the Embers in NYC along with Joe Bushkin, Milt Hinton
and Jo Jones back in, I think, 1953. The Embers was  one of my
favorite places to take girl friends and I remember Clayton coming
over to talk with my date. She was very pretty, the kind of looks and
figure that would quiet a room as every man there would turn to stare
at her.  Clayton was a handsome ladies man and couldn't resist coming
over. The year was probably 1953 as that was when I dated this young
lady. I met her in late 1952 and in 1954 she went on to greener
pastures. <grin>

That was one swinging group.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone