[Dixielandjazz] Miff Mole

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 3 00:07:29 PST 2010

Don Ingle wrote [in part]:
> ........Red Nichols and their time in NY in the 20's to early 30's. He and Red made about four or more recording sessions weekly under many names, and also for some for the Lannins, Richmond, and several other "society" bands of that time.

Dear Don,
The list of documented recording sessions on which the wonderful Miff Mole took part is in excess of 480.
A remarkable career indeed for a man who died ill and penniless.
(Sadly outlined on pages 128-29 of Richard Sudhalter's 1999 book 'Lost Chords'.)
I heard at the time (1961) that they had to sell his trombone to help pay for the funeral.

> Miff played at Jazz Ltd in the early 1950's as did Muggsy and Bechet until Bill Rhinehardt, the club owner and clarinetist, went to a regular house band. They made a few recordings while he was there - mostly singles.

Five titles recorded with the 1951 Jazz Ltd are currently available on a Delmark CD (DE-226), Dixieland At Jazz Ltd. Vol. 1.
Doc Evans (t) Miff Mole (tb) Bill Reinhardt (cl) Ralph Blank (p) Sy Nelson (b) Doc Cenardo (d)
Chicago, 1951. (An Atlantic record date.)
"Jazz Me Blues/The Charleston/Tin Roof Blues/High Society/Bluin' The Blues".
Playing it now.

You were certainly fortunate to be around at the time these records were made, and to know and hear the great ones.
Very kind regards,
Bill. (Yer old cobbler from down-under.)