[Dixielandjazz] Miff Mole

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 19:16:14 PST 2010

I love the way Miff Mole played those staccato 8th notes early in his
career. But later on, after Teagarden came on the scene, Mole modified
his style and played much more legato.

I can't point to any recorded evidence of this, but do remember,
seeing/hearing/talking to him, numerous times at various joints in NYC
and at the Mandalay on Long Island in the 1950s. He was playing a much
more relaxed swinging trombone style having been influenced by T jazz
wise, and by the NBC studio orchestra he had joined in the 1930s,
music wise.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband