[Dixielandjazz] Hank D'Amico & Friends

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 08:58:39 PST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 11:01 AM, Marek Boym wrote:

> Thanks for reminding us about Hank d'Amico.  A wonderful musician.
>
> On 1 December 2010 21:19, Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net
> > wrote:
>> You Tube is surely wonderful. Came across a couple of recently
>> posted videos
>> of my neighbor and mentor in the 1950s. Clarinetist Hank D'Amico.
>> Hank was a
>> wonderful guy as well as a GREAT clarinetist. He died of cancer
>> much too
>> young.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLhPQNnxz3k
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPC9ZihV2_A&feature=related
>>
>> And hear him with Tyree Glenn and Johnny Windhurst, Teddy Charles,
>> Sir
>> Roland Hanna, Mary Osborne, Coleman Hawkins and Morey Feld at:
>
> Actually, the first You Tube you have given also has Tyree Glenn,
> Hawk, Mary Osborne, et al (but with Jackie Cooper rather than Morey
> Feld at the drums, as has already been pointed out).
>
> Cheers

Actually, the 3rd You Tube clip of my original post (I Found A New
Baby)  is the one in which where I listed the musicians. It was
correct in that Morey Feld was the drummer on that clip.

It was then stated incorrectly by a list mate that movie actor Jackie
Cooper was on that 3rd clip and the musician list was wrong. You are
indeed correct in that Cooper was sitting in on the 1st clip. I did
not list the musos on that clip. The two clips are from the same Art
Ford Jazz Party which may account for the confusion.

Art Ford's Jazz Party was a program in NYC that aired every Thursday
on TV Channel 13 (then a commercial station WNTA) from May 8 1958 to
December 25, 1958. Most a melding of black & tan Dixieland and Swing

To see more of them visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN-0wV5WKOA   (this one may surprise you)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6jRcIxJ9cE   (Maxine Sullivan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0TXcct1CtM&feature=related (Maxine
Sullivan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCXiycjMoiw&feature=related  (Johnny
Windhurst)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0Itcs5j0Y&feature=related (Alec
Templeton)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0qXwRHrHo&feature=related (Buster
Bailey)

Or just surf the web or You Tube for Art Ford Jazz Party. These cuts
are IMO Priceless.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband