[Dixielandjazz] After Essentially Ellington

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Aug 29 12:42:16 PDT 2010

Stan Brager wrote:

> The New York Times has an article about some of the members of one of
> Seattle's "Essentially Ellington" high school bands. While not directly
> relating to Duke, it highlights some of these young participants who are
> beginning to make a name for themselves in jazz. Kudos to them, Seattle's
> music programs for young students, and the "Essentially Ellington" contests
> for helping to keep jazz alive. Read about them here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/245bfvz

We have one of the top music programs in the country here in Sacramento.  The band from that school has been to the Ellington contest also.  In fact, one of the members, or maybe two, are members of DJML and do the Song of the Month contest.

I believe one of them wrote here on DJML about going to the contest a few days ago.

The post was very interesting.  If anyone missed it, I'm sure you can find it in the DJML archives.

 --Bob Ringwald