[Dixielandjazz] Bud Freeman on Clarinet

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 28 15:11:13 PDT 2010

 Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> Here's what Allmusic has to say about the Lawson session:
> "Review by Scott Yanow"
> No mention of Freeman playing clarinet.

He probably only played clarinet in the arranged passages.

> Bud also plays clarinet behind singer Marilyn Ross .......
and

> I do not usually listen to vocals, unless I have to.

You haven't missed much with this vocal one-disc wonder. Although the backing group and Freeman's clarinet playing is interesting.
I hope our DJML thrushes don't read the other comment.
8>)

> I hardly know the Joe Haymes band, other than that it existed.  Any
> recommendations for non-vocal, hot numbers?

You have only one CD choice at the moment:
   http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/storeR.cgi?phrase=Joe+Haymes&specific=artist&format=any&x=18&y=12
Or look for the Bluebird 2 LP set or IAJRC LP 46.
For Swing fans, the Joe Haymes orch's claim-to-fame was as a high quality training ground for young musicians.
And, over the years, included a few sidemen who went on into the famous big bands.
When the feuding Dorsey brothers split dramatically in 1935, Tommy immediately took over the Haymes band at that time, which is why his new orch was so good.
Haymes was philosophical about it all and simply started another one.
Very kind regards,
Bill.