[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Wally Weschler

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Aug 28 08:51:00 PDT 2010

Wally Weschler, former musician-arranger and husband of Patty
Andrews, died yesterday. Wally's breathing had slowed and his pulse was weak; he
died peacefully in his room at the Weschlers' home from cardiac failure. He had been
ill for quite a long time and was steadily growing worse. His body will be cremated
today or tomorrow and interred at Westwood Cemetery. There will be an on-line memorial
to him; I believe this will be accessible from the Westwood site. It will include
photographs of him and Patty. There will be no services.
Wally was a long-time pianist and musical director for the Andrews Sisters, doing
arrangements and special material for the trio. He married Patty Andrews in 1951.
After sister LaVerne died in 1967 he became more influential, pushing Patty to go
solo and eventually was a major player in the rift between Patty and Maxene that
lasted until Maxene's death in 1995.
Patty Andrews survives at age 92.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/806-9551
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing
 in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle"
-- Winston Churchill