[Dixielandjazz] "Louis" - The silent movie

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 07:23:52 PDT 2010

I urge those in the Philadelphia area to see this silent film, backed
by Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra on August 31.
(If you are not coming to see Barbone Street at the Ocean City [NJ]
Music Pier, that is)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
wwwmyspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

A Silent Musical

By Dave Itzkoff - NY Times - 8-28-10

At the end of the summer movie season, the fledgling director Dan
Pritzker believes he’s got a film that will satisfy an audience
unmoved by superhero sequels and 3-D extravaganzas: a black-and-white
silent movie (with hints of color) based loosely on the childhood of
Louis Armstrong. And for the price of your ticket, you also get music
composed and arranged by Wynton Marsalis, and performed live by him
and a group of 11 other musicians.

It may not topple “Toy Story 3” at the box office, but that is the
premise of “Louis,” a 70-minute feature that had its debut in Chicago
on Wednesday and will come to the Apollo Theater in Harlem on Monday
as part of a five-city tour.

“Louis” is one of two music-themed movie projects that Mr. Pritzker,
better known as a songwriter and guitarist in the rock-fusion band
Sonia Dada (and a billionaire scion of the family that owns the Hyatt
Hotels Corporation and the Marmon manufacturing group), has been
determined to make for some 15 years. The moment of inspiration came
for Mr. Pritzker in the late 1990s, when a stage manager first told
him about Charles (Buddy) Bolden, the turn-of-the-20th-century cornet
player credited as a creator of jazz.

“As the words were leaving his lips, I think it physically altered
me,” Mr. Pritzker said. “The thought that there was this guy out there
that impacted my life so dramatically, and I had no clue who he was,
really resonated.”

Mr. Pritzker spent several years consulting with authors and
musicologists on Bolden, a forerunner to Armstrong who died in 1931
and recorded little if any of his work. In writing what became the
scripts for “Louis” and a second feature, “Bolden,” Mr. Pritzker
concluded that it was easier to fabricate large swaths of his stories
because Bolden’s history was nebulous, and Armstrong’s adult life was
documented to death.

“After he got to Chicago, everybody knows every minute of that guy’s
life,” Mr. Pritzker said with some exaggeration. “On July 3, 1933, he
went to a dry cleaner to pick up his shirt.”

Instead, his “Louis” puts a Chaplinesque tilt on Armstrong’s childhood
in New Orleans, where a fictionalized version of the future trumpeter
(played by Anthony Coleman) in 1907 plays a crucial role in a
comically complicated affair involving a corrupt politician (Jackie
Earl Haley) and a prostitute (Shanti Lowry) who has given birth to his
child.

Some of the film’s details — that the young Armstrong worked on the
back of a coal and firewood cart, using his rudimentary horn skills to
attract customers, and ended up in the Colored Waifs’ Home, where he
further honed his abilities — are true or true enough. Others — like
the slapstick antics that populate the film — are, Mr. Pritzker said,
“mythical wanderings from my imagination.”

Mr. Marsalis, a New Orleans native who was approached a few years ago
by Mr. Pritzker to provide the music for his films, said the
director’s fictionalized presentation of his subjects’ lives was
perfectly appropriate.

“We have a whole history of movies that do that,” Mr. Marsalis said in
a phone interview. “I don’t think it’s a question of whether it’s O.K.
or not. We’d have to throw out almost every film ever made on a
figure. It’s not a documentary.”

Besides his own original compositions, Mr. Marsalis provided
contemporary arrangements of classic jazz tunes like Jelly Roll
Morton’s “Black Bottom Stomp,” Duke Ellington’s “Happy Go Lucky Local”
and Charles Mingus’s “Boogie Stop Shuffle,” as well as several pieces
by the 19th-century Creole composer Louis Moreau Gottschalk (those
arrangements are played during the film by the pianist Cecile Licad).

Mr. Marsalis said he hoped the live presentations of “Louis” would
promote interactivity with its audiences, one way or the other.

“We always like to have people saying something, good or bad,” he
said. “If they like it, we’re going to play more of what we’re playing.”

(“Louis” played in Detroit on Thursday, and the other stops are
Bethesda, Md., on Saturday, and Glenside, Pa., near Philadelphia, on
Tuesday.)

Mr. Pritzker, who shot “Louis” in tandem with his movie “Bolden” in
2007 (and spent more than $10 million in the process), originally
planned to release the two films simultaneously. But he said the
Armstrong film was released first because “I finished the ‘Louis’ film
first.”

He added: “My wife said, you’d better do something with it or you’re
going to drive me crazy.” “Bolden,” a traditional, two-hour feature
with color and sound, and a cast that includes Anthony Mackie(“The
Hurt Locker”) and Wendell Pierce (“The Wire,” “Treme”), will be
released “when it’s ready to come out,” he said, most likely in late
2011 or 2012. (It does not yet have distribution.)

Asked if he might have another film in him after these two, Mr.
Pritzker invoked his experience as a pop songwriter, and said he could
not imagine telling stories that did not completely capture his
imagination.

“It’s so difficult, I can’t really see how people do it at a mercenary
level,” he said. “I can’t see how somebody goes out and makes
something they know they don’t love.”