[Dixielandjazz] Youth Jazz in Seattle

Justin Au jtazztrumpet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 00:38:59 PDT 2010

Thanks for sharing that article with us Mr. Barbone.  Reading it sure
brought back memories of when my high school got to participate in the
Essentially Ellington Competition.  My brother also participated when he was
in the high-school.  Now normally I am not a big fan of competitive
scholastic jazz festivals, but Essentially Ellington is so much more than a
competition - it is one of the most amazing experiences a high-school jazz
musician can ever have.  There is so much positive energy that resonates in
the hall when you perform that it hardly feels like a competition at all.
After all, every band there is already one of the top 15 bands in the
nation.  All the bands there constantly support and cheer each-other on, new
life-long friendships are forged...etc.  The bands feed off this contagious
positive energy and inspire each-other.  It is that exhilarating sensation
that results in everyone playing straight from their hearts and really
feeling good about it.  This energy in turn, flows throughout the hall and
into the heart and soul of everyone in attendance.  That experience alone is
better than any trophy you could ever win.  That is what makes playing music
so rewarding.  All the bands that evening sounded amazing, though I must
admit Roosevelt and Garfield did have the strongest soloists.  There is
certainly something in the water up in the Seattle area that breeds
phenomenal jazz bands.

The whole experience actually starts months before the competition takes
place.  I could go on and on about how great this festival is, but nothing I
say can describe the experience better than the following film.  There is an
excellent documentary out there about Essentially Ellington called "Chops."
It was filmed the same year my school participated.  You can order a DVD
from the website below ($20) or purchase and download a lower resolution
version on itunes ($10).

http://www.virgilfilmsent.com/store/product.php?pid=284

-Justin Au
Sacramento and San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly), CA

P.S.  - check out our latest episode of "Name That Song!" on youtube and
don't forget to post your comments/guesses on the video!