[Dixielandjazz] Some Birthdays August 26

Mike Meddings mike_meddings at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 19:56:20 PDT 2010

James Andrew Rushing registered for the World War I draft in his home city of
Oklahoma. His draft card gives a date of birth of 26th of August 1900, but this
is certainly not true, as he was recorded as James A. Rushing in the U.S. Census
on 8th June 1900 in a rather curious entry. His birth details in the entry
disagree, stating explicitly that he was born June 1899, but that he was 10
months old, which would mean he was born August 1899. He is also said to be the
granddaughter of the head of the house! The 1910 U.S. Census agrees with the
1900 entry, giving his age as 10, while the 1920 U.S. Census gives his age as
19, in line with the draft card. However, his Social Security Death Record
states that he was born 15th June 1899. Combining all of this information,
Rushing was almost certainly born on either 15th June or 26th August 1899.

Scroll down to James Andrew Rushing on this page for more info:

http://www.doctorjazz.co.uk/draftcards2.html

Best wishes.

Mike Meddings.