[Dixielandjazz] Savory collection

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:02:30 PDT 2010

I think it will be possible to get them public.  Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall concert is available. Never heard of any lawsuit from former sideman against that.   The Duke Ellington live at Fargo dance evening is available. It was agreed at that time, that it would never be commercially exploited, but it is now. (And what a blessing).
The composer rights definitly still exists, but you don't deal with that person himself, you deal with ASCAP. (In the case of USA productions). As long as you pay a regular fee, you can issue anything.
I think that (as usual) the musicians have no rights at all. They were paid to do the radio programm. Almost always when I do TV or movie work I have to sign a quitclaim, that means you allow the producers to use it.    The original radio shows might object, but I doubt that. After so many years they will be proud that people are still interested in listening to it. And I believe that after 70 years producers rights disappear.  Every TV show or commercial I am in I put on youtube, never had a problem with that thus far.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpDzSlVXsjo
Personally I hope that the Savory collection will become available to the world, and that it is not neccesairy to go to Harlem to listen to the music.I did perform in Harlem 10 years ago, the Apollo Theatre was great, but Harlem itself not so very pleasant for a European.

 Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma Inialoane 28 9263 RD Garyp The Netherlands
 www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com

How about if the CD's are produced and sold and the producers put the statutory royalties into an escrow account for whomever a court decides should get the money? Or is that too straighforward in this day of ridiculous lawsuits?Phil WilkingThose who would exchange freedom forsecurity deserve neither freedom nor security.----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen G Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>One big problem . . . "Copyright status". There was no agreement fordistribution rights between performer and radio stations in the 1930s.So once the records are digitalized and perhaps issued on CD, who willown the copyrights and will that fight delay the distribution? Wemight be dead by the time it all sorts out.