[Dixielandjazz] That elusive definition of jazz

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 17 14:02:37 PDT 2010

In all due respect and while there may actually have been some directors
somewhere that fit this description, I was highly active in the field for
some 15 years and won state championship in jazz/stage band etc. and am not
aware of a single director who even began to fit what you are saying here.

I will agree that there were not many high school programs that addressed
OKOM (jazz) in that the number of students able to improvise COOPERATIVELY
were few and far between.  There were however, many many individuals and
groups who played outstanding, swinging jazz and who had band directors who
were able to make it happen.  I had (and have) the alumni who played and are
playing professionally, to prove it.

I would be interested to know how many on this list (even based on OKOM) got
their start with a school music program and were in a program where the
director had jazz sense, as opposed to those who fall into the opposite
category.

Sorry troops, but I'll argue this one till hell freezes over!

Mart

Martin D. McKay (Professional Listener)(Retired one time band director)
St. Augustine, Florida (Come on down, and bring money)