[Dixielandjazz] Krupa & Bix

christopher tyle cornet at clearwire.net
Mon Aug 16 16:37:19 PDT 2010

Steve B wrote:
"Read the comment numbers 7 & 8 carefully to figure out where Bix comes
in. At 1:30 or at 2:44? Note also that some discographers say it was
Chauncey Morehouse on drums, not Krupa.

Bill Haesler, who was the drummer?"

Bix at 2:44 . Lodwig at 1:30, but not playing into a derby - perhaps a
solotone mute with his hand over the front part.

Definitely Krupa, based on the playing from "Bessie Couldn't Help It" from
the same session.
BTW, "Bessie..." is the first recording of a drummer (Krupa) playing a ride
cymbal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12uOMZpry5Y
(at 1:11 behind Bud Freeman) (he does the same thing on the other take,
too). As far as I know, there are no recordings from that time period of
Morehouse playing ride cymbal. But the drumming on "Bessie" reminds me of
Zutty SIngleton, which would make sense if it was Krupa, since Zutty was one
of his favorites.

Tom Lord's discography lists Morehouse, but also states "instead of Krupa ?"
Obviously implying some question of Morehouse's presence.

Possibly Phil Evans' discography might shed more light. I don't own a copy.
It seems to me, however, that the late 1930s reissue album of Bix recordings
on Victor listed Krupa on "Bessie." But I no longer have the record and
can't confirm.

Cheers,
Marvin