[Dixielandjazz] FW: Benny Goodman

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Sun Aug 15 14:46:33 PDT 2010

Daniel Barrett wrote:

> From: danpbarrett at hotmail.com
> To: vinnyn at verizon.net
> Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman
> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:41:10 -0700
>

> It seems fahsionable to indulge in Benny-bashing. His eccentricity, frugality, and admitted insensitivity make him an easy mark. However, let's not forget he was an iconic figure of the 20th Century, and did a lot of generous things for people behind the scenes. (For instance, I heard he quietly picked up a hefty hospital bill incurred by an ailing Gene Krupa).
>
> Besides,as Oscar Wilde pointed out, the job of an artist is not to be a "nice guy" (I'm of course paraphrasing Wilde here). The artist's job is to create art, which even devout Goodman-haters would have to agree he did.
>
> As Ruby Braff (who idolized Benny) once said, "Yeah..Beny Goodman: the guy everybody hates, and the guy everybody wants to play like!"
>
> --Dan Barrett, a BG fan (And alumnus of BG's last band, 1985-'86)
> Costa Mesa, CA
>

>> From: vinnyn at verizon.net
>> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:48:26 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman
>> CC: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
>> To: danpbarrett at hotmail.com
>>

>> Yes I had forgotten that Bob and I also misused the word spendthrift in
>> another note.
>> Early warning signs of Geezerdom or the result of a misspent youth.

Danny is right on target in regards to the Goodman bashing. Most of it
ishearsay,someture, but unless you know the srouce you cannot pile on
wihtout risking beingthe dupe.\
As yo his playing, this scribbler regards his earl early work, before
being shown the ways of doulbing lipping, as his hottest, from the guy
work of al. I recommend a litentotheRedNicols recording of China Boy -
that to me is the end-all exampleof how to play a "hot" chorus. It was
rough, edgy, woithout thesmooth Reginal Kell-trained tone, but it
sizzled and in my mind confirmed that no matter the man's disposition
with people or other players, the man could exite your senses with that
single chorus if you heard nothing elsee afterwards. ( would nominate
his side with Lady Day on "Ooh...What a Little Moonlight Can Do"as a
solid second choice for me.
One man's opinion- that's all it is, but  get over the hearsay slams and
just listen to what the man left us to hear. And thanks, Danny, for
bringing some sense this thread.
Curmudgeonly,
Don Ingle