[Dixielandjazz] Dick Hyman with BG

Dave Stoddard dhs2 at peoplepc.com
Sun Aug 15 11:35:47 PDT 2010

Dear Listers:

Hal Vickery wrote:  "I haven't seen "The Gene Krupa Story" in decades, but I
seem to remember a
scene where Sal Mineo as Gene arrives at an apartment where a bunch of
musicians are gathered.  From the chronology of the story, it probably would
have been in the mid-'30s.  The host introduces one of the musicians:  You
know Bix Beiderbecke, don't you?"  The odd thing was that Bix was on his
feet instead of flat on his back six feet underground."

The host was actually introducing a cornet player from Sioux City, Iowa
named Leon "Big Spider" Beck.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard