[Dixielandjazz] The Glenn Miller Story, The Film

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 14 02:16:44 PDT 2010

Marek Boym wonders:
>   Why the film showed Manny
> Klein playing his famous "frehlich" solo on screen, but had Harry James actually play it, I have no idea.

Dear Marek
According to Jess Stacy, quoted in Derek Coller's 1997 Stacy biography 'The Quiet Man Of Jazz' (Jazzology Press) regarding the BG film session call:
"Ziggy Elman was there, even if I knew him to have a bad lip so that he could only mime the original Elman solos that Manny Klein would try to approximate on the soundtrack."
Kind regards,
Bill.