[Dixielandjazz] Threepenny Opera

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 13 21:44:51 PDT 2010

Hello all

If one is "serious" about the Threepenny Opera, one needs at least 2
recorded versions. Yeah, I know - this is not serious, it's madness  :-)

The two categories are "historic" (1929 or 1930 original cast
recordings) and "modern". I imagine that Mike L only wants to own one
and, therefore, I'd suggest one of the modern recordings.

The Decca, conducted by John Mauceri with Ute Lemper, is beautifully
sung but I find it a bit too "polite". I much more prefer the
Sony/Columbia conducted by Wilhelm Brückner-Rüggeberg, with Lotte Lenya.
This has the feel of the historic recordings with the benefit of modern
recording. In my opinion, definitely the one to have.

All the best,
Anton