[Dixielandjazz] Mel Torme was BG and Alice Hammond

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 13 14:39:17 PDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 3:36 PM, <alevy at alevy.com> wrote:

> There's a great story in Mel Torme's book about
> meeting Benny in his, Benny's, apartment.
> I won't tell. This is a family rated group
> Cheers,
> Al - from Houston
> Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
> Please visit me at
> http://alevy.com

Dear Al,

Mel Torme was a swinging guy, so our bass player says, and he tells a
few great Torme stories. Ace Tesone our bassist, recorded with him
live at the Red Hill Inn in Pennsauken NJ back in 1962, along with
some local Philadelphia jazz musicians. Jimmy Wisner (pno), Ace on
bass, and Dave Levin (dms) Originally released on Atlantic 8066.

Those were the days when Torme was more focused on small band jazz.
There may be some clips around if you google search for Torme & Red
Hill.

A year or two, a fan approached us and asked Ace to autograph the
original Atlantic album cover which he brought to our gig. Made Ace's
day.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband