[Dixielandjazz] Alabama song

David M Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Aug 12 11:47:44 PDT 2010

Many of you probably know Turk Murphy did several versions of "Mack
the Knife" (and as related in the liner notes for the Lotte Lenya CD,
Turk did the arrangement for Louis Armstrong ) and "Pirate Jenny" with
Bea Barrett singing. However, no "Alabama Song," surprisingly!

There is a fairly long list of cover versions for Alabama Song here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Song  (I added several this
morning.)

( Orchestra USA Sextet ( Jerome Richardson (f, bcl, as), Thad Jones
(t), Mike Zwerin (bt, dir), Jimmy Raney (g), Richard Davis (b), Connie
Kay (d))
recorded Bluebird CD: 62852-RB — "Theatre Music Of Kurt Weill" that
includes a rather swinging version of Alabama Song (and several Macks) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIEDN-ntz4s  is a sort of "Cow-Punk
Honky-tonk" version by The Long Tall Texans. (not to be confused with
the book of the same name.)
Not OKOM per , but interesting...

Dave Richoux